Our mom has had a big influence on our blog, even though she might now know it (we’ll make sure to tell her on Sunday). We heard this phrase a lot from her growing up:
Listen to your body.
Our mom always reminded us that our bodies would tell us what we needed most, be it rest, food, a good stretch or a night in. Although we’ve both abused this philosophy in the past (“Dang it, can’t help you move out of your apartment tonight! I have to listen to my body and it would rather watch HGTV and order delivery sandwiches.”), all in all, it has served us VERY well in regards to our wellbeing. Maybe not so much our social lives.
Nowadays, our mom’s words have guided us to launch an entire blog dedicated to not only listening to our bodies, but feeding and nourishing them on the inside and out with ingredients that make us feel the happiest and healthiest. And this Mother’s Day, we want to do just that for our mom and give her some lovely, natural, healthy products that’ll do her right. Feel free to steal our ideas, plus we’ve got some discount codes for you!
Here’s to you, Mama Bear.
- Badger Stress Soother, $6.79
- Osmia Organics Purely Simple Face Cream, $60
- Adama Minerals Body Butter, $14.99 (+ coupon code below!)
- Burt’s Bees Hand Salve, $9
1. Silver bullet for stress? Yeah…I’m gonna buy it. I inherited my mom’s type A-ness, and though I haven’t yet tried Badger’s Stress Soother, I’ve been eyeing it for months. Given our mom’s high stress levels, it was the first product I ordered for her this Mother’s Day (uh oh, hope you’re not reading this, Mom…SPOILER ALERT). This is an all-natural aromatherapy product that includes rosemary to promote clear-thinking, spearmint (one of mom’s fave scents – so much spearmint gum in her big magical purse!) for cheeriness, chamomile and lavender for relaxation, and more. Mom can rub on her hands or temples for a quick calming sensation.
2. Our mom went to great lengths for her beloved face cream. I’ll never forget how her “Mary Kay Lady” used to do drive-by drop-offs when my mom needed a new bottle in a pinch. She’d come in the middle of the day and leave a delicate pink satchel hidden among our front-porch shubbery…you know, so no one would steal my mom’s liquid gold (or maybe so neighborhood dogs wouldn’t eat it?). Not only did Mom teach us that landscaping can double as a lockbox, but spending some extra moolah on a face cream that keeps your skin looking and feeling its best is worth it. I received a sample of Osmia Organics’ Purely Simple Face Cream in a recent package and immediately knew this would be a new favorite for our mom (and for me!). With aloe and vegetable-derived glycerin (a favorite moisturizing agent of mine), it uses plant-based ingredients and a small amount of essential oils to keep skin spring-y and smooth, and is designed for sensitive skin. It has a refreshing herbal scent, smooth application, absorbs quickly and moisturizes all day. This face cream is perfect for all moms who are new to organic/natural products and don’t want to sacrifice the look and feel of their tried and true moisturizers.
3. When I think about our mom, especially during childhood, I think about her huge black purse that was full of wonder. Need some gum? Here you go. *pulls lint off of it* Need a tissue? Here’s a napkin from McDonalds. Have a cut? Here’s a bandaid and some Neosporin. Done. My mom taught me how to be prepared. How to think about everything I might ever need…and then put it in my purse. Mom told me to always have $20 in cash on me at all times. Just, ya know, in case. I cannot tell you often that wisdom has saved me from tricky situations. Or the cash-only taco stand. BUT STILL. IT HELPED.
Anyway…enter Burt’s Bees Hand Salve. It makes me think of my mom because this is a great purse addition for all those moms (or anyone) who like to be prepared for anything!
What I like about Burt’s Bees Hand Salve is that not only is it all natural, but you can get it in a pinch at the drugstore. It’s reasonable, and it’s something that she can use for a long time. It has a very herbal yet non-overpowering scent to it. It’s quite hydrating (you know I am all about the hydration) and the tin is just so cute.
4. Adama Minerals Body Butters are brand new and come in two delicious scents: Citrus Blossom and White Coconut. I am inclined to say “flavors” instead of scents because they smell good enough to eat with a spoon! The Citrus Blossom body butter smells like freshly peeled oranges. It’s made with mongongo oil, which has hydrating, regenerative and anti- inflammatory benefits. The White Coconut may as well be a fluffy dessert: it’s soooo sweet smelling! Mother’s Day is all about treating your mama, and these body butters are extremely rich going on and very thick due to the mix of cocoa and shea butters in each. (Which I LOVE, sometimes you just need a nice, hearty lotion, you know?) The only ingredient we’re not crazy about is polysorbate-80, an emulsifier, but it only ranks a 3 on the Environmental Working Group’s Skin Deep Database. The best part is you can grab this product for a discount…Adama Minerals is offering $10 off on $35 orders. Use code “getunsullied.”
Lastly, in case you need more inspiration, check out these Unsullied-approved Mother’s Day sales (we won’t judge if you pick up a little something for yourself, too…)
**Zion Health’s body butters were generously sent to Kathryne for review by the product manufacturer. Check out our policy on product reviews.