Even though my city is currently frozen over, in just a few weeks time, we’ll all be defrosting among spring blossoms and day drinking craft beer under sunny skies. Which means it’s time to restock your sunscreen cabinet (…and probably get a pedicure).
I’m just going to come out and say it: I’m a glutton for sun. Being outdoors in spring and summer time feels so natural and joyful to me. Plus, I love my vitamin D. Say what you will about Gwyneth, but I kind of love when she said:
I try to get at least 15 minutes of sun a day. We’re human beings and the sun is the sun.
Amen, sista, as long as we’re safe about it and (ideally) protecting ourselves 365 days a year, rain or shine. You can bet that I slather on sunscreen like an Olympic volleyball player. Bring on the zinc oxide!
So, how do you select an adequate, effective sunscreen for body and face that’s as natural as possible?
You can really go down the rabbit hole researching sunscreens and related studies, hearsay and opinions. Be warned that you may wind up awake at 3 in the morning with an Amazon cart filled with $200 worth of mineral sunscreens and foam forming around your mouth (or was that just me?…).
To avoid this fate, here are the bare bones basics: many chemical sunscreens are acknowledged as hormone disruptors and may exacerbate damage to skin. But mineral sunscreens, containing zinc oxide and/or titanium dioxide, may contain nanoparticles which have their own set of safety concerns. Like the Environmental Working Group (EWG), my preference = mineral sunscreens only, sans nanoparticles, if possible. The two sunscreens from Badger & Kimberly Sayer that I’m sharing today fit the bill!
So, to kick off the spring season, here’s my rundown of natural, sunny weather supplies that I’m currently loving:
- Badger SPF 30 Zinc Oxide Sunscreen Cream – Lavender, $15.99
- Badger After Sun Balm, $5.99
- Kimberly Sayer Ultra Light Facial Moisturizer, $32
1. This tube of lavender-smellin’ goodness got me through a week in the Bahamas with no burns on my body. It’s effective. And that’s the most important thing, right? Plus, Badger is amazingly transparent in regards to their sunscreens, the ingredients they use, and the methodology and science behind it. They use non-nano, uncoated zinc oxide. Anything you wanted to know about Badger sunscreen (and probably some things you didn’t!) is available on their website.
The obvious drawback is that good mineral sunscreens with high-quality, natural ingredients cost more. Also, you can expect this product to leave a white cast on your skin – which all but disappears if you take a few minutes to really rub it in. Does that bother me? Nope. I’m certainly not hosting any Las Vegas pool parties any time soon!
I have to echo what Badger states on their website:
We feel that peace of mind is worth the additional cost and a little whitening on the skin.
2. Badger After Sun Balm was a lifesaver on my recent tropical vacation when a few members of our party developed MAY-JUH sunburns. Luckily, I had this baby on-hand for some relief! I managed to escape the Bahamas mostly unscathed, but sunburn or not, this balm is cooling, moisturizing, smells wonderful and feels incredible on skin. Moisturizers and conditioners like olive and jojoba oils combine with shea and cocoa butters to treat skin, and natural citrus scents plus lavender, ylang ylang and Moroccan blue tansy make this balm something you’ll want to slather everywhere, for no reason at all. I’ll be re-purchasing this balm by the bucketful for spring/summer.
3. This genius product out of London smells lemon-y fresh and will blow your mind. Before switching over to natural products, I literally scoured the Earth for a daily SPF facial moisturizer that offered at least SPF 25 coverage, wouldn’t break me out, apply like putty or make me smell like a lifeguard stand. I never found one that I liked. I enter the natural space and…BOOM. Where I do begin? True to its name, this moisturizer is the definition of lightweight. It’s suitable for everyday use and wears well under make-up: no whitening, no beachy smell, absorbs quickly. Plus, in terms of protection from sunburn, it offers an amazing SPF 30, much higher than most facial moisturizers I’ve found. It works. I used this everyday while I was in the Bahamas for a week and didn’t burn. ALSO, it’s the size of a rolling pin. Literally. This product is HUGE (4 fl. oz.)!
I reached out to Kimberly Sayer to inquire about the mineral sunscreens they use, and I’m very happy to share their response:
We do not use and have never used any nano particles. We don’t coat them, they are processed through a wet method which binds the minerals to the base of the product and creates one texture.
Cheers to the sunny days ahead!
Badger SPF 30 Zinc Oxide Sunscreen Cream – Lavender ingredients:
Active Sunscreen Ingredient: Non-Nano, Uncoated Zinc Oxide 18.75%. Inactive Sunscreen Ingredients: *Olea Europaea (Organic Extra Virgin Olive) Oil, *Cera Alba (Organic Beeswax), *Butyrospermum Parkii (Organic Shea) Butter, *Theobroma Cacao (Organic Cocoa) Butter, *Simmondsia Chinensis (Organic Jojoba) Oil, Essential Oil of *Lavandula Angustifolia (Organic Lavender), Tocopherol (Sunflower Vitamin E), and CO2 Extract of *Hippophae Rhamnoides (Organic Seabuckthorn).
* = Certified Organic
Badger After Sun Balm ingredients:
*Olea Europaea (Extra Virgin Olive Oil), *Cera Alba (Beeswax), *Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Oil, *Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Butter, *Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter, Essential Oils of *Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender), Tanacetum Annum (Moroccan Blue Tansy), *Citrus Aurantifolia (Lime), *Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Sweet Orange), *Cananga Odorata (Ylang Ylang), *Citrus Sinensis (Sicilian Orange) and CO2 Extract of *Hippophae Rhamnoides (Seabuckthorn).
* = Certified Organic
Kimberly Sayer Ultra Light Facial Moisturizer ingredients:
Deionized Water, Zinc Oxide (Mineral Sunblock), Titanium Dioxide (Mineral Sunblock), Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Lecithin, Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower) Seed Oil, Emulsifying Wax (Vegetable), Glycerin, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Aloe Barbadensis (Aloe Vera) Leaf Juice, Sea Algae Extract, Citrus Limonum (Lemon) Oil, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter, Camelia Sinensis Leaf Extract (Green) Tea, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin-E), Eucalyptus Globulus Leaf Oil, Xanthum Gum (Vegetable), Benyzl Alcohol (Plant Alcohol Preservative)