Time to get your holiday bake on!
So, this is easily my favorite baking recipe of all time. It’s a soft, chewy, DELICIOUS cookie. I can only make these when I know I am bringing them somewhere…otherwise I can’t be trusted with them. The good news is that this recipe is vegan, and utilizes my good ol’ favorite: agave, so no refined white sugar here! Follow the recipe and you’ll have the best dessert at the par-tay! (or on your couch, alone, watching the PBS special on Liza Minnelli. No judgement here, people!)
- 1 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons canned coconut milk (you can use light canned coconut milk as well – do NOT use coconut milk from a carton – can only!)
- 4 tablespoons agave or grade B maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon flour (whole wheat flour, coconut flour, etc.)
- 1/4 tablespoon extract of your choice: almond, coconut or vanilla. Or brandy!
- Dash of salt (teeny)
First, preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
Here’s where it gets crazy: take ALL the above ingredients and put them in pot. Cook on low to medium heat, keeping a keen watch on the mixture until it becomes firm. Firm enough to hold a ball (that’s what she said.) Let the mixture sit for just a few minutes to cool before you scoop it out.
Grease your cookie sheet a bit. You can use a VERY light coating of coconut oil if you like, but I mean LIGHT! Use a melon baller, or just a little spoon, and make your little coconut bombs. Line them up on your cookie sheet and bake them for 14-16 minutes. You’re allowed to peek at 14 minutes, but don’t peek too much! Let them cool a good while (at least 10-15 minutes) before you serve/eat them. As my mother always says, “they cook after you take them out of the oven, you know.” True words. Tell that to my burnt hand. Enjoy, Unsullied darlings!