Before we get into answering the fun questions that Melissa wrote for us (we worked on these over the phone and had some real laughin’ out loud moments), here are the Liebster rules, for reference:
- Thank the blogger who presented you with the Liebster Award, and link back to his or her blog. Thank you, Melissa! You rock.
- Answer the questions from the nominator, list 10 random facts about yourself, and create 10 questions for your nominees. Our weird commentary is below.
- Present the Liebster Award to several other bloggers, who have blogs with 200 followers or less, whom you feel deserve to be noticed. Leave a comment on the blogs letting the owners know they have been chosen. We’re all over it!
- Upload the Liebster Award image to your blog. Done & done.
- How did you come up with the name of your blog?
Let’s just say we struggled with this. We played word association games, made long lists of words related to natural living, invented compound words…we even tried to associate natural ingredients with our hair colors, which brought us to “Honey and Ginger”…then we realized we sounded like strippers. Unsullied was always on the list: we fondly remembered it from high school vocabulary tests as a pretty word for being clean and pure…and we ended up picking it for simplicity.
- iPhone/Android/or neither?
Jennifer: iPhone or death.
Kathryne: I have a Kindle?
- Did you have a favorite childhood pet?
We sadly never had pets. Well, furry ones, at least…we had some goldfish that we won at the State Fair, but they were either diseased, or we were so excited to finally have a pet that we smothered them with way too much attention and they died. RIP Goldy and Starlight.
- When do you start decorating for Christmas?
Christmas Eve. Seriously. We decorate at our parents’ house really late! And every year we put on our parents’ Christmas record from the ‘60s, so Liza Minelli and Spider Savich can join us for the festivities.
- Favorite Christmas ornament?
Kathryne: It has to be the dog bone in kindergarten that I glued eye balls onto with a red felt dot for a nose and called “Rudolph” – it’s still in pretty good shape, and shockingly hasn’t rotted or been eaten by mites…
Jennifer: Kathryne may be overstating the condition of that ornament…anyway, my favorite is the ceramic angel I painted in Girl Scouts that sits at the top of the tree. We only use it every other year though because we have a second tree topper that’s a bear wearing pajamas…which I hate.
- If you could pick five celebrities to follow your blog, who would they be?
First, a disclaimer that we are celebrity-obsessed. Jennifer’s first blogging endeavor a few years back was a “celebrity news” blog called “Obsessed.” (don’t judge us).
1. Solei Moonfrye (hero!)
2. Kristen Bell – our bkr bottles match!
3. Alicia Silverstone
4. Kathryne really wants Ed Begley Jr. to read our beauty blog. I’ll let her explain.
5. Jennifer loves Jessica Alba and Honest Co.
- Beauty product you can’t live without?
We both agree: Argan oil. So moisturizing, so silky, so multi-tasking! You can put it on every part of your body. We especially love it for our face, neck and cuticles.
- Favorite type of exercise?
Jennifer: Running! And yoga as a close second.
Kathryne: Anything dance-y. I would like to take a barre cardio class, but I’m too chicken. I don’t like being in groups of people while exercising. Maybe in 2014.
- What’s the most important thing on your to do list today?
Jennifer: I mean, do you really want to know? I need to email my leasing office. My life is fascinating.
Kathryne: Learn my lines for an upcoming pilot I am shooting. I like to do it while I am cooking – talking to myself like a crazy person.
- Favorite social media platform? (Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, etc.)
Jennifer: I am crack-dicted to Instagram!
Kathryne: I know that Facebook is dead, but it’s my favorite.
10 RANDOM SISTER FACTS
- As children, our mom used to let us do our own makeup on Halloween. Exhibit A:
- Jennifer was a fat baby, whereas Kathryne won a baby beauty contest.
- Since we were little, our mom has always told us to “listen to our bodies” – one of the inspirations for this blog.
- We’re both singers! Kathryne is a trained, operatic soprano and has even sang on off-broadway shows. Jennifer sang a cappella in college, hitting bass notes & beatboxing. Let us know if you need a lounge singer or Cher impersonator at your next office party or gathering.
- People know we’re sisters by the sound of our voices, not our faces.
- We used to take EPIC road trips with our parents when we were kids: up the California coast, from New York to Michigan…camping all along the way. Our camping prowess has unfortunately diminished as adults.
- We are both TERRIFIED of any type of insect that finds its way indoors. Except for ladybugs. Bring on the ladybugs!
- We ate our way through Italy this summer – ironically, that was where this healthy living blog was conceived! Over sugary donuts and plates of carbonara.
- We’ve seen the following films approximately 1,000 times: The Wedding Singer, The Goonies, 200 Cigarettes, Princess Bride, Baron Munchausen, Clue. We recommend all of these films if you’re staying in tonight.
- We compete in a team triathlon with our parents every year (we’ve done it for over a decade!). Jennifer takes the running leg while Kathryne handles the canoeing…we do it for the memories (we never said we were fast!).
AAAAND, YOUR QUESTIONS:
- What’s the one “dirty” or not-so-natural product you’ve had a hard time giving up or still can’t live without?
- What’s your favorite go-to fast breakfast?
- If you could only eat one dish for the rest of your life, what would it be?
- When do you produce your best blog entries? What time of day/day of week?
- What beauty/skincare product do you refuse to leave the house without wearing?
- What’s your favorite season and why?
- What brand do you spend the most money on – be it natural beauty products, clothes, etc.?
- What are you top three go-to blogs for green beauty and natural living?
- What’s been your greatest fitness accomplishment? (no feat is too small!)
- What gets you out of bed in the morning? What turns you on?!
Thanks again to Melissa from A Prudent Life for this fun opportunity. This gal knows her way around a DIY project…and we’ve bookmarked all of her personal finance entries. Check her out!